Sunday, December 9, 2007

Deck the Halls

Well, I'm in full Christmas mode. Usually I enjoy making gifts for family and friends, then thoughtfully buying gifts for family and a few friends. Then of course there's the Christmas letter, although mine often becomes a New Years letter, just can't get everything done at the same time. With the kids all grown up and moved away, I end up decorating the house and tree alone. David will bring the tree in, but doesn't care to decorate. I enjoy it, though. I still have the ornaments the kids made in grade school. That's been 15 years, about, but I love them and fix them when they break or the glue finally stops working. I figure that I'll give them to each child when they start having a big tree themselves. Right now Heather puts up a little tree, but I don't think Nic and Jared do. A few more years and they'll be ready.

This year is so different. I haven't really made any gifts, and don't feel good enough to do any baking. I like to make candy, banana and other fruit breads. No, I don't do fruitcakes. I never liked them, and figure other than doorstops they don't get used much. I may make fudge, but probably not other candies. Darn, I love that part!

Decorating- I don't know how much will happen. David will set up the tree, so I can decorate, but other than the Nativity set and stockings, who knows? Now the stockings, I made them a few years ago, nice big crocheted stockings. Then I made Grandma Farr one when she moved in with us.

As for gifts, thank goodness for the internet! I've been able to get everyone's gifts ordered, and sent to my siblings out of town. I'm trying to follow my own advice, and keep it simple, but we always spend more on the kids than we originally planned. At least we pay for everything, and while we use a credit card, we pay off the balance, so we're not paying for Christmas all year. I'm grateful we can have a nice Christmas, and we help others have a better one too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be happy to come help you decorate!

Nisha said...

You didn't mention that some of those ornaments are made from bread dough! Perhaps that coule be why they are breaking! ; )

Click picture below to see album!

Christmas 2008

Carthage Jail & Nauvoo Temple