Sunday, June 22, 2008

I have a Farmer's tan

Well, I couldn't help myself, I've been thinking about it for a couple years, and now I've gone and done it. It started when I was driving all around the country with my Mom. We talked about gardening, and then moved on to other past pursuits. The next thing you know, I'm in the store, and now I'm a farmer, yup, I bought me some chickens! Pullets actually, just the hens. I don't want a rooster, neighbors don't like the noise. I got enough for me and Mom, she'll pick hers up in a couple weeks.

My kids hate chickens, they had to feed them for years. The worst punishment at our house was to clean the chicken pen, so when they'd done something particularly ornery, out to the chicken coop they went, to muck it out. So, I guess it's my fault they don't like chickens much, but I love having them. This time I got chickens as an organic grasshopper solution, last year the grasshoppers were so bad here that they stripped my butterfly bush and several shrubs. All that was left were the branches, it was so sad, I wasn't sure they would even survive. Every time we stepped into the back yard, clouds of them would fly up into your face. Chickens love to eat grasshoppers, and there you have it. I also look forward to having fresh eggs by fall.

My other focus this week was to plant tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beans, sunflowers, lettuce and a little swiss chard. I didn't plant a lot of each, just enough to have a nice salad I hope. It's probably too late for lettuce, it's been so hot here, but I couldn't resist. Yes, I'm just a farmer at heart, but on an itty bitty scale. I have lots of simple joys in my life, and digging in the garden gives me so much pleasure!

No comments:

Click picture below to see album!

Christmas 2008

Carthage Jail & Nauvoo Temple