Monday, September 1, 2008

Weekend adventures

Well, we've had more company this week! Our good friends Sharry and Gina Barton came down from Utah for the long weekend, and darned if we didn't lose Gina and Nic on Saturday. He said he wasn't lost, he just got bad directions. Umm, guess who gave the directions? He wanted to take her for a drive and get lost, so I just did my part to help. I told them about the drive to Cherry, a little wide spot in the road in the mountains near here. Problem is, I told them to take the old Cherry road, and Nic heard take the Old Cherry Road. The difference is one is paved, one is kind of a cattle trail, and Nic drives a Jetta VW. He followed directions, turned off on Old Cherry Road, and when it passed the last house it becomes a 4-wheel drive road. He pushed forward, looking for the paved part of the road; dropped into a washed-out creekbed and moved carefully to the other side. As he was driving up the washed-over road up the hill, he steered around a big rock only to have another one smash up into the oil pan.

Luckily his cell phone worked, and he called David. "Dad, can you bring some duct tape and a case of oil?" We loaded up the truck with tools, oil, water and yes, duct tape. When we got there we realized the rock had cracked the whole oil plug out of the pan, so a little duct tape and JB Weld wasn't going to fix the problem. We brought the kids home Saturday, and will have to rent a car dolly to haul the Jetta home.

They thanked me profusely for giving such good directions and allowing them such a pleasant afternoon! ha ha. I'll never hear the end of this one, I tell ya. Today when Sharry and Gina were getting ready to leave, Sharry asked for directions to the interstate. Gina and Nic just looked at me, like- DON'T SAY A WORD! So, I had David give the directions.

It's been raining hard here the last couple days, so Nic took the old pickup out today, looking for a mud slick to play in. Before they left, I told them "Now look, I am not recommending this road, and if you get lost or stuck, It's Not My Fault!"

No comments:

Click picture below to see album!

Christmas 2008

Carthage Jail & Nauvoo Temple