Sunday, October 26, 2008

transgender chickens

So it turns out that Betty is a Bucky. I learned that the other morning when I woke up to crowing. I had hoped it was a neighbors rooster, but no such luck, it's Betty, er- Bucky. On the positive side, he's become a beautiful bird, black and gray feathers in a stripe pattern, strong red comb and wattle. The bad thing is the crowing-I just hope the neighbors don't complain. If they do, I guess we'll have chicken soup! He's young enough, he should make a good chicken stew. I hope I don't have to do that, frankly I don't like butchering chickens much. Maybe I can pawn him off on my Mom, heaven knows she's brought enough animals my way over the years. He doesn't crow horribly loud, so for now he gets to be the 'cock of the walk', until further notice.

We gave away the first puppy on Friday, one of the chocolate colored males. The proud new owner is a 9-year old boy. He visited them last week, and since then had already named him, made a couple toys and was dreaming of all the fun they'd have together! I'm thrilled to give puppies to people that love them and will take good care of them.

We've sure enjoyed having Megan and Taylor visiting the past few days. Megan is my niece, and we haven't seen them since their wedding last May. They've been out hiking in Sycamore canyon, and we went to Jerome, it's always fun to go there. There's a great yarn shop there, I try to visit it when I can. Megan likes to knit, so I've just been giddy having someone to talk knitting with again. Heather and I work on patterns together still, but over the internet and by phone now. It's nice to sit down, look at patterns and chat about the next fun project in person. I pushed tons of magazines and books at her, to see which ones she liked. I know, it doesn't take much to entertain me....

No comments:

Click picture below to see album!

Christmas 2008

Carthage Jail & Nauvoo Temple