Saturday, October 24, 2009

Just Chickens

Well, I've annoyed my local friends endlessly with tales of my new, improved chickens, so now it's your turn! A couple weeks ago our friend Ben called me from Queen Creek, very excited. Seems a guy was selling off most of his poultry; game birds, turkeys, ducks, geese and of course chickens. He wanted to sell them off, and offered a better deal if he bought 10, so would I be interested in some grown hens? Well, of course I would, I love chickens!!!

So now I have 2 New Hampshires, 1 Americauna, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Wyandott and maybe 1 Australorp. The Americauna lays green eggs, I love that. The rest lay brown, or will. Only a couple are laying right now, the others are molting. The hens get along pretty well, but it's funny to watch them. Lucy is my only hen left from my original group, and when I brought the other hens in, she immediately picked a fight with each of them, and let them know who's boss! The Australop is beautiful, she is black and white, very striking. I scatter chicken feed in the pen every morning, and she will chase all the doves and other birds out of the pen when they come in looking for free food. It's so funny to see her cackle and race after them!

I've been working with them, and several will eat out of my hands now. It's tempting to wear gloves, because they will peck pretty hard, but I don't know if they would like the color and feel of it, so I haven't yet. I let them out into the garden in the afternoon, they are the best bug-zappers around!

Ok, it's true, I'm a schmuck for chickens. My kids hate them, and I'm sure it's my fault because I made them feed, water and clean up after chickens all of their childhood. They just can't understand my fascination, and neither can David. I don't know either, I just like fresh eggs and natural bug killers. Plus they chatter and talk to me, which is so cute. The New Hampshire's especially like to chat, they follow me around clucking about the neighbors, very intent, and I'm sure what they're telling me is very important to them. So I cluck back, (hope the neighbors aren't listening), and we visit a little while I feed them and check for eggs. Well, it may not be an exciting life, but I love it!

1 comment:

Shawna K said...

Cute post, we love chickens too.

Click picture below to see album!

Christmas 2008

Carthage Jail & Nauvoo Temple