Saturday, October 2, 2010

My My, Applie Pie!

Today was canning day. Gina and I canned 12 jars of apple pie filling; 7 quarts and 5 pints worth. We have a bushel of Granny Smith apples and did just a little less than half. Gina's Mom gave us a great recipe for the pie filling, so we got started about 3 pm. At the same time the ceiling in the front room was being painted, the guys were watching football in the family room and David, Jon and Norm were working on the rental, so it was a busy, rather hectic day. At least things are getting done!

The ceiling is finally painted, the painter came in today and set the baseboard in, patched the walls and sprayed the whole thing in one day. With everything else going on, it's sure nice to have it finished and be able to get the furniture back in the house. Right now it's piled up on the covered front porch, stacked up on top of the couch.

I have to admit we look like a bunch of rednecks- furniture on the porch, dogs running around, chickens scratching in the yard. I have to be careful about the animals going into the front yard, just because I'm trying to coordinate between the chicken's and the dog's time there. I don't dare let them out together- the chickens would be lunch! I usually let the chickens out in the afternoon for a few hours, and the dogs out there in the mornings. The other day as I was putting the dogs back in the back yard, I saw some rustling in the garden, and saw a black chicken picking around the tomatoes. Somehow she'd managed to survive being in the same yard as the dogs for hours without getting killed! I think she hid in the garden while they were out front romping around, but if they'd seen her, well.... I have to double check that all the chickens are back in their yard before I let the dogs into the front again.

1 comment:

Shawna K said...

sounds yummy! I would love the recipe. I made some last year with my own devices and it just doesn't seem quite right.

Click picture below to see album!

Christmas 2008

Carthage Jail & Nauvoo Temple