Thursday, December 3, 2009

Woa! Christmas is coming!!!

Well, we had a good Thanksgiving-my sister-in-law Sandy and her family made Tday meal for us, Mom, and our cousins. Hap was busy outfitting a hunting trip for a group, but Sandy was home and willing to cook for everyone. Her daughter Franki loves to cook and helped, and I brought several pies. Marvin and Cathy came, they've just moved to Arizona from California, and it was fun to see them.

David and I went on to Benson Thursday night, stayed at the Best Western hotel there. It's a lovely hotel, and the staff was so friendly! The pool and spa were still open, so I jumped in that evening for a quick swim. Although it was a heated pool, to my old bones it was cold! A nice bracing swim, then on to the hot tub to warm up. We drove into Tombstone on Friday and took a carriage tour around town. I was sad to hear that the little shack used by Big Nose Kate and Doc Holliday had burned down in 1998, just a few years after we were there before. We wandered around town with Chica in tow- it's definitely a dog-friendly place. The Best Western there was so acomidating for dogs, and even many of the stores were fine with her coming in with us.

We wandered down to Bisbee Friday afternoon, what a cool place! It was so busy we didn't find a place to park, but enjoyed just driving around looking at the architecture and the mine there. We had lunch at a place called Bisbee Breakfast Club- what a great meal!!! It was the best hamburger I've ever had, and the cafe has a great atmosphere. I highly recommend it. There's a nice health food store next door too, and I was able to find some wheat-free snacks. Saturday we took the side road toward Safford, and stopped at the Chiracahua National Monument. It was so cool- literally, the wind was blowing and it was cold. But what a great place to hike and see some amazing country. We didn't hike, but there are lots of trails for the hardy folks. Saturday night we stayed with David's cousin Wayne and had dinner at a great little Mexican restaurant in Safford.

I missed spending the holiday with our kids, but since they are spreading out and setting up their own lives more, I have to accept that I won't get to have them every main holiday. At least I know they were enjoying the holiday with others and weren't alone.

Of course I got sick right after we got home, and I'm suffering through a nasty cold right now, which I got from David. For the past few days we have both been fighting it, trying to take care of each other. Luckily Nic and Gina are here, and they have been a big help too. I haven't been able to start Christmas decorating, hopefully I can start that this weekend. I can't believe it's already the Christmas season!

No comments:

Click picture below to see album!

Christmas 2008

Carthage Jail & Nauvoo Temple