Saturday, December 11, 2010

Charging to Christmas

I wish I was charging to Christmas... I'm still feeling weak, but at least I have a voice again. We have most of the gifts here, but I don't have the tree decorated, or any other decorations up yet. I've decided that with Jared, Heather and his parents coming, I better not get too caught up with the prep work and save my energy for the Christmas weekend. I need to remember that it's not about the stuff, it's about celebrating Christ's birth, and enjoying the time with family. I can't wait to spend time together, read about Christ's birth, and all the amazing events that transpired before and after his birth. That's what I need to do this year I guess, really focus on the important part of Christmas, and let go of the unneessary.

It's just that I love the feeling the decorations evoke, the memories of making Christmas past. I'm so mushy, I still have most of the decorations my kids made when they were in elementary school! We still use the ornaments that we made as a family 20 years ago, it all has meaning to me. When they were younger, we made beaded wreaths, candy canes, etc. When Jared was in the hospital before Christmas a couple times, he and I painted some, and crocheted others. The year he had kidney surgery at 14, and was hospitalized for 10 days, actually nearly died, we made more. Painting ceramic angels, santas and such helped distract me from the hours of care at the hospital, and when he started feeling better, he helped me paint. The ornaments are simple, and inexpensive, but they carry years of love and faith with them.

My kids are grown, in their 20's and 30's, but these little decorations hold the memories of wonderful holidays past for me. I expect to give them to each of the kids for their own homes when they're ready. By then, David and I will be going to their homes for Christmas, instead of them coming to ours!

1 comment:

Shawna K said...

What a a great memory. As flylady says, you can do anything 15 min at a time. Even if it is only 15 a day. Little by little you will get there. Lots of LOVE!

Click picture below to see album!

Christmas 2008

Carthage Jail & Nauvoo Temple