Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sick Summer

Did I mention I had heart surgery? No, actually, I had surgery again. I didn't have much time to plan, really.... I couldn't clean the house, just had time to get the porch plants watered, the fish fed with a weekender block, pack a little bag, fall apart at the seams. Luckily my sister was here, and when I got a call from the cardiologist that there was more fluid on my heart, and he wanted a surgeon to operate that week, I had someone here to pick up the pieces. He called Tuesday, and that afternoon the surgeon's office called, said to be at his office on Thursday and he'd do surgery on Friday!

David took me to Scottsdale Thursday, we did all the pre-op stuff that day, and went into the hospital Friday. Unfortunately, I got bumped from the 7:30 am slot to later, because some poor lady had to have bypass surgery, then they couldn't find decent veins in her legs to use. I wheeled into surgery at 4:00, which is scary, because statistics show more mistakes occur during afternoon surgery. Oh well, everything went well, although my chest looks like it's been used for target practice. I have 3 poke holes on the right, then 3 on the left that are bunched up all together. Then of course I have the vertical scars down the sternum from the July surgery. Mine still don't even come close to the size of Jared's, though, so I shouldn't complain. OK, I will just a little! Saturday and Sunday were awful, then things started getting better. David, Debbie Mom, and my friend Julie set up a watch schedule, and there was someone with me 24 hours a day through Tues. It made things so much more bearable, that's for sure. I was released on Thursday, and we stayed with David's sister Trish that night. I got the luxury ride home on Friday, my Mom brought her motor home and I got to sleep most of the way. It's nearly a 3 hour drive at times, so that made it much more bearable.

I have the hardest job now, which is to take it easy and allow my body to heal. I had a blessing that told me I'm to be patient, there's that word again... Anyhow, I have a couple knitting projects I can do, and of course my 'quiet time' will give me more time to blog. Watching the weeds grow in my garden will make being quiet much more difficult though.

The great time about August is watching the hummingbirds fight. Now there are fewer flowers for them, and the feeders are much more popular. I have one right in front of the family room window, so I can knit or surf the internet, read etc. while watching the birds. I have a huge elderberry bush nearby, so they race from it to the feeder, engage in arial combat, chatter and scream at each other, then zoom back. I bet if I looked there would be some hummingbird nests up in the elderberry, but I leave them alone. I don't like people peeping in my bedroom!

No comments:

Click picture below to see album!

Christmas 2008

Carthage Jail & Nauvoo Temple