Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Jerome in the Summer

My traveling buddy Julie called me today, and met me in Jerome. We used to hang out in Jerome in high school, but back then it was still a dusty ghost town. The hippies had come in and bought up some of the old abandoned homes, created communes and artist colonies. Gettin' high was just a fact of life there, it was a very interesting place to people-watch. Julie and I'd leave Prescott and the real world, drive over the mountain and drop into a little slice of California. Well, that's what it seemed like to me-it was psychedelic and a bit drug-addled. Not much has changed there.....

Jerome, Arizona went through an ugly tourist-trap phase in the 1990's, but I'm happy to say that many shops have gone back to the artist colony roots; I see a lot more work from local and Arizona artists there. We had lunch together at the grill downtown, then meandered up and down the streets, chatting and checking out the great stores. Just like we did 36 years ago... boy how time flies! There is a marvelous yarn shop there, it also has beads, and just about every fiber temptation a knitter could want. It's called Knit 1 Bead 2, I think. I didn't buy yarn there, but only because I'd found some lovely recycled silk yarn at another store, so I wasn't as tempted as usual.

I posted a picture of the project I'm working on now, it's an argyle scarf, which is reversible. I can't even begin to explain how it's done, but it looks really cool! It's the first time I've done this technique, so I'm having a lot of fun learning and working on it.

No comments:

Click picture below to see album!

Christmas 2008

Carthage Jail & Nauvoo Temple